3.12.2005

things forgotten in the earlier post...

yes another post today. a couple things i meant to include earlier, but they can have their own post.

after Surdyk's, I went to Bibelot shop. good and bad, there. they carry a some stuff from a product line called "Miso Pretty" featuring wonky "cute" Asian stereotype wonky English and imagery in their packaging. Kinda bugged me. I mean, I'll go to Asian groceries and often enjoy fractured English when I see it(I am also know to peruse Engrish.com, though it annoys me when they try and make up Engrish-y sounding stuff themselves for products or just to try and be humorous), purposely making up fractured cutesy English to sell a product(and to make it appear trendy/hip) turns me off.

I also discovered the artist Brian Andreas, they carry his Storypeople greeting cards there. I am not sure I like the art itself so much, but I really like his little "stories". Click here and explore his site and you'll see what I mean.

Another recent discovery that has brought me enjoyment is the Japanese poet, Shuntarou Tanikawa. I happened upon a book of his work entitled, At Midnight in the Kitchen I Just Wanted to Talk to You, while I was trying to find some Japanese fiction to base a paper for my Japanese Minority Literature class on.
Here's a poem of his from that book:

"My Favorite Things"

"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens,
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens,
Brown paper packages tied up with strings-
These are a few of my favorite things."
Oskar Hammerstein II

No matter how much
I like a thing
actually owning it
somewhat bores me.

And no matter how much
I like that thing
notowning it
makes me somewhat resentful of it.

"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens,
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens,
..."

Poor Oskar.
Your forced rhymes
sound just awful.
Sometimes even the soul is flatulent.

I want a drink of water;
I'm very thirsty.
Half a cup isn't enough; a hundred would drown me.
I like water.

No comments: